Yikes! Woke up this morning and looked hard at what I did to the harpsichord yesterday and figured out I screwed up most of it. I mistook the board that was used to pack the lower register guide for a support I was supposed to salvage from the old instrument. I glued the lower register guide to this board and mounted it on the inside of the instrument drilling new holes for the screws. This is wrong.
Eileen figured this out last night while we were watching TV.
She couldn’t convince herself we did this wrong, but this morning in the clearer light of day I know that we did. We will either have to find a way to undo this or order new parts. I will talk to Eileen about this.
Also, I mis-glued the two small wooden reinforcing blocks in the wrong way on either end of the upper register. This morning it looks like the way I glued them would block two jacks, one on either end.
The instructions said to glue them “flush,” which I did. However they should have been perpendicular to the register and I glued them parallel blocking a hole on either end.
Bah. It was silly to give myself a time deadline (my Aug 5th gig) for having the harpsichord refurbished.
I’m not hopeful about undoing what I have done. I am hoping they can sell me a new upper and lower milled register guide (probably pretty expensive) alone with new reinforcement blocks to do correctly. Of course this will have to wait until tomorrow if not Tuesday. Maybe Eileen and I can find a way to work ahead on the jacks themselves.
I also worked on “Dead Man’s Pants.”
I discovered a measure has been missing from the final section, “You must be the animal.” Somehow it never made it into any Finale file. I only found the original in an initial pencil draft. Happily it is now inserted in the proper place.