I have been working on Bach’s Prelude in F minor BWV 534 for a few days. I was thinking I might need it for the postlude next Sunday. I mistakenly thought that my scheduled postlude was sort of ruled out because the hymn it was based on was one I chose as a last minute substitution for a wrong hymn in last Sunday’s bulletin.
But I was wrong. So I can keep the schedule postlude and work on Bach for another week before scheduling it. I decided that I wanted to get some more meaty material into my organ practice. That’s why I started working on the Bach.
But since my scheduled organ music for this Sunday is not that difficult, I took advantage of this fact and stayed entirely away from church yesterday (playing a little hookey from organ practice).
Instead I finished the quilling step of refurbishing my old harpsichord. This step involves inserting a quill (plectrum) into the jack, trimming it so that it just touches the string and plopping down in its slot.
For the next step I need a hand drill. Ours died recently. So another of my goals yesterday was to visit at least one local thrift shop and look for a used drill. Eileen and I did this. No dice.
They did have a used small floor sander for 7 bucks. But it didn’t seem to be what I needed. I will be using the drill with a sanding device to shorten the jacks. That’s the next big step.
I did find a couple pieces of music to buy. The book pictured above was owned by the former Organ Prof at Hope, Roger Davis.
There are a few marks in it that show that someone had taken a few lessons using it, possibly from Davis. This is a bit odd because Davis’s claim to fame was penning a respectable organ study book himself.
Today doesn’t look too bad. I have 2 classes to play for, 2 meetings at church, and an evening rehearsal. No hookey today.